Kia ora teachers. We have made the resources on this site available to help you with online learning. Where possible we have used information and photos from the South Canterbury area. Please acknowledge the source where possible.
Feel free to use the links for your classes and to let other teachers know about these resources. The team at Heritage Education are also available to talk to your students via the meeting platform that your school uses - to book a meeting please just email us to arrange a time and discuss your topic.
Watch these videos to take a peek behind the scenes in the Natural History store at the museum, learn about some amazing local animals and find out how animals are classified.
- Find out how longtail bats are caught for measuring and tracking by watching
Catching Long-Tailed Bats in the Waitakere Ranges
- Watch Meet the Locals: Pekakpeka / Bat to see the short tail bat close up
- Oamaru has little Blue penguins too, here are some interesting facts about them on their Blue Penguins Colony page
- Watch a penguin chick being fed at the Auckland Zoo
- Listen to the sound little blue penguins make pon NZ Birds online
- Look at an interactive model of a penguin, you can turn the penguin around so that you can see its beak, feet and flippers
- Timaru Penguins are famous, watch this clip from 1 News to find out more about an observation platform that was proposed last year
- Check out Coll Antarctica for penguin facts
- Watch Meet the locals: piwakawaka to find out more about the iconic New Zealand fantail
- Listen to a male fantail on NZ Birds Online
Published May 2020