WEBB, Andrew
(Service number N/N)

First Rank Lance Corporal Last Rank


Date 4 July 1880 Place of Birth Temuka

Enlistment Information

Date 10 September 1917 Age 37 years
Address at Enlistment 42 Ollivier's Road, Linwood, Christchurch
Occupation Motorman
Previous Military Experience 7th Contingent South African War
Marital Status Married. Two children
Next of Kin
Religion Presbyterian
Medical Information Height 5 feet 10 inches. Weight 156 lbs. Chest measurement 34½-37½ inches. Complexion fair. Eyes grey. Hair brown. Sight – both eyes 6/6. Hearing & colour vision normal. Limbs well formed. Full & perfect movement of all joints. Chest well formed. Heart & lungs normal. Condition of teeth – yes. Illness – enteric fever in S. Africa campaign 16 years ago. Free from hernia, varicocele, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, inveterate or contagious skin disease. Vaccination mark – left. Not in good bodily & mental health. Slight defects but not sufficient to cause rejection. Fracture left femur at age of 10. Assessed Class C2. D.A.H. Auricular fibrillatesis.

Military Service

Served with NZ Armed Forces Served in Army
Military District

Embarkation Information

Body on Embarkation
Unit, Squadron, or Ship
Embarked From Destination
Other Units Served With
Last Unit Served With

Military Awards

Service Medals
Military Awards

Award Circumstances and Date

No information

Prisoner of War Information

Date of Capture
Where Captured and by Whom
Actions Prior to Capture
PoW Serial Number
PoW Camps
Days Interned
Liberation Date


Date 27 August 1918 Reason

Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses

Post-war Occupations

Tramway motorman; wharf labourer


Date 3 August 1958 Age 78 years
Place of Death Christchurch
Notices Press, 4 & 5 August 1958
Memorial or Cemetery Linwood Crematorium, Christchurch
Memorial Reference
New Zealand Memorials

Biographical Notes

Andrew Webb, known as Jack, was the first-born of Andrew Webb and Helen Jane née Waddell. He was born on 4 July 1880 at Temuka, South Canterbury. Irish-born Andrew emigrated in 1874 and married New Zealander Helen in 1879 at Temuka. In April 1887, Andrew Webb (senior) bought a section at Arowhenua. In December 1889, Mr Andrew Webb, of Arowhenua, sustained serious injury to one of his bands through the bursting of a kerosene lamp. He was progressing fairly well, it was reported, until a week later when it was feared that his hand would have to be amputated, as the injuries are more severe than were at first reported. Mrs A. Webb frequently, and successfully, exhibited at the Temuka Show – crochet, flowers, vegetables, berries, fruit. In March 1899, Mrs A. Webb forwarded to the Temuka Leader office “a large red tomato, which turns the scale at a little over 1 lb weight. The tomato is by no means a beauty, but appears like several strangely-shaped tomatoes joined together.” In mid-February 1905, Mrs A. Webb left at the Temuka Leader office “some excellent samples of vegetables grown by her at Temuka — red cabbage, parsnips, and carrots. Mrs Webb was very successful at the Temuka and Geraldine Horticultural Shows, and the exhibits left at our office are admirable ones.” Andrew Webb placed a notice in the Temuka Leader in November 1907 advising that he would not be responsible for his wife’s debts. Mr A. Webb, senior, was a member of the Temuka Volunteer Rifle Company and later a member of the Temuka Veterans’ Club. In November 1912, Andrew Webb transferred a section (1 acre) at Arowhenua to Helen Jane Webb. In mid-1916, an appeal was being made throughout New Zealand for funds in aid of the dependents of the men of the Royal Navy, who would lose their lives during the war. Andrew Webb, Temuka, subscribed 10 shillings. In 1918 Andrew Webb gave to the Prisoners of War appeal.

Along with his siblings, young Andrew was educated at Temuka School, with a few months in 1887 at Milford School near Temuka. In November 1889, a lad son of Mr A. Webb, had his leg broken. He was with another boy trying to catch a horse, when he fell, and the horse trod on him, breaking his leg below the knee. This lad may well have been Andrew. A case resulting from a boys’ quarrel came before the Temuka Magistrate’s Court on 11 August 1890. Ten-year old Andrew Webb complained that a twelve-year unlawfully assaulted and beat him on 26 July. He pushed him into a gorse fence, hit him and kicked him, Webb said. Mrs Webb said that she brought the case because she had been abused several times by the other boy’s parents when she had complained about the Mehrtens boys. The constable said that Andrew Webb’s face was swollen the day after the assault. Another little boy gave evidence as to the assault - Webb had “cheeked” Mehrtens and called him “mutton eater.” Geo. Mehrtens said that Webb was always cheeking him, so he (defendant) gave him a clip on the ear. He knocked him into a gorse bush. Had thrashed him before. At the 1891 Temuka District High School prize-giving, Andrew Webb received a prize for 6th place in Standard II. In March 1897, Andrew Webb, junior, was again before the court on a charge of breaching the peace at Arowhenua, to which he pleaded guilty.

Andrew Webb, junior, served in the South African War (No. 4458), signing up on 3 April 1901. He had passed the riding and preliminary test for the Seventh Contingent and was camping at the drill hall in late February and was finally accepted a few days later. A good muster of townspeople at the railway station gave three hearty cheers at the Temuka men’s train steamed off. He had served 3 years as Private with the Temuka Rifles. A labourer and of Church of England affiliation, he named his mother as next-of-kin – Mrs Ellen Jane Webb, Temuka, Canterbury. Medically examined at Timaru on 23 February 1901, “this candidate fulfils the conditions.” He embarked at Wellington on 7 April per the “Gulf of Taranto”.

He wrote to his parents from Wolvehoek on 17 July 1901, enclosing as a curio a Boer cheque for £250. They had not been doing much of late except to capture twenty of the Boers’ waggons, 800 head of cattle, 60 horses, 60 mules, and a lot of working bullocks. They also captured 4 Boers, and shot and wounded a few. “It was great fun to see the Boers cutting the mules’ and the bullocks’ harness to get them out of the waggons. Their waggons were loaded with flour mostly, and meat. They were just going to have a good feed, . . . . . . They even had a lot of women with them, and they went in such a hurry that they left half the women behind them. . . . . . . All the Temuka boys are doing well, and are in good health. I weighed myself last night, and found I have not gained a pound since I left New Zealand, when I was 12½ stone. Don’t forget to send some papers. My horse nearly got drowned in the great Vaal river the other day, but I got him out all right.” Another letter was written to his brother on 2 September – “I suppose you know by this time we are having plenty of fight every day, but the Boers have not got into any of us Temuka lads yet. We have had the bullets near enough to us all the same, as close as I want them anyhow. There have been nine men killed in our Contingent and about 30 wounded. A good few of our lads have also been captured. When the Boers catch them they take everything from them, strip them naked, give them a kick, and then let them go. . . . . . The South African papers give our contingent great praise for the work we have been doing. . . . . . for last month’s captures We captured 51 men, 84 waggons, 10,000 sheep, 3700 cattle, 292 horses, 50 rifles, 13,000 rounds of small ammunition, 32 Cape carts, 70 tons horse feed, 610 women, and 460 Kaffirs. I would like the life all right, but we don’t get enough tucker, and we are half the time marching at night, so we don’t get much sleep either. But that is the time we get at the Boers. . . . . . . South Africa is not a bad place after all. It is a bit rough in some places, but that is nothing. . . . . .” In March 1902, it was relayed that he (Jack Webb) had been off the column for some time through illness. He had been in hospital somewhere for a long time but was getting on all right.

4458 Webb was among the South Canterbury men on board the troopship Manilla, which left Albany on 9 June 1902, bound for New Zealand. A public welcome social organised by the Temuka Rifle Volunteers was tendered to Lance-Corporal Webb and other recently returned members of the Sixth and Seventh Contingents on 3 July 1902. At a parade of the Temuka division of the Geraldine Mounted Rifles at the Drill Shed in August, returned troopers were invited to be present and the Mayor presented medals and clasps to South African troopers, including Andrew Webb, No. 24 Company, Canterbury Section (medals and bars for Orange Free State and Transvaal).

Later in August the Temuka Cricket club held a carnival to raise funds. The contents of the fancy goods stall were many and varied. “As a background which served to show off the array of goods was a particularly handsome tablecloth. This was on exhibition only, and was the property of Mrs Webb, being brought by her son, Corporal Webb, from South Africa. The cloth is of Hindoo workmanship, the ground being of dark black upon which is worked a large centre piece in gold, pink, and pale blue. Round the edge is a deep border of the same material and of similar pattern.” The Under Secretary Defence wrote to Mr A. Webb, late 7th N.Z.M.R., Temuka, on 28 September 19??, advising that his Ledger Account when credited with Overseas Gratuity of £5 left him overpaid £6.8/-. He had been paid 6 shillings a day as a Corporal whereas it should have been 5 shillings a day as Lance Corporal. Andrew Webb was duly asked to remit £6.8/- at once to be refunded to the Imperial Government, for whom the New Zealand Government was acting as agent. “The Department has no desire to harass you, and if you cannot remit the whole amount at once please state what arrangement you can make for repayment by instalments.” On 5 July 1902, he had been granted two months leave from 26 June 1902 to 25 August 1902 on full contingent pay for the rank of Corporal. That appears to be where the error crept in with regard to rank. He had taken ill with S.C. fever at Mooi River, Vryheid on 24 December 1901 and was treated at the hospital there for 2 months 1 day. The Pensions then recommended the two months leave. Discharged on 15 September 1902 after 87 days service and of very good character, he was awarded the 2nd Boer War Medal, the Transvaal Bar and the O.R.C. Bar. On 11 November 1902, he acknowledged receipt of an Imperial South African War Medal, also clasps for Transvaal and Orange Free State. Hon. Corporal 4458, 7th Contingent acknowledged receipt, on 4 January 1907, of the New Zealand Defence Forces clasps for South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. He had previously received the Queen’s South African Medal and Clasps.

Soon after his return from South Africa, Andrew was into Morris Tube Shooting, before long shooting off scratch, and the Temuka Rifles. He was joined in shooting by his brother William, a crack shot who competed at representative level. On Saturday, 22 July 1903, South Canterbury had the heaviest snowfall within the memory of the oldest inhabitants of the district. A party of six Temuka young men, who included Andrew Webb and his next brother, William, “had an experience on Saturday last during the snowstorm which will not soon be effaced from their memory.” Employees of a basket-maker, of Temuka, they were engaged in cutting basket willows at Cattle Valley - a spot some 26 miles from Temuka. and 10 miles this side of Fairlie. They had camped in the Valley for a week. On Friday afternoon heavy rain set in, and during the night they had to dig trenches as the water worked under the canvas. Worse was to come - in the morning, the men found that they were snowed in, and all the provisions and cooking utensils were under 3 feet of snow. They decided to set out for home, five having bicycles and one a horse. After many harrowing hours, carrying their bicycles through snow and crossing waist-deep icy water, “but with that dogged perseverance, as characteristic of the colonial youth as of their English forefathers, they kept on.” About four miles from Hilton William and Herbert Hobbs, both about 20 years of age, found it impossible to keep up with their companions. Calling at the house of Mr Leary, they were provided with a meal and rested about an hour. Andrew Webb and the other three pushed on and reached Hilton at 6 p.m. — 8 hours after leaving camp. The two arrived at Hilton an hour later and all stopped at Mr Rowland’s, where they were treated very kindly. The two young ones stayed the night, but the other four pushed on again determined to get to Temuka that night. Taking took turn about at riding the horse, they reached Temuka at 9.30, and “never were there four more worn-out individuals. . . . . . Speaking of the experience the members of the party say they never thought it possible to go through such an ordeal and live. They also aver that they would not do it again voluntarily for a fortune. Three of the young men — Andrew Webb, Herbert Hobbs, and William Moore — were members of South African contingents, and they declare that the campaign and life on the veldt were as nothing in comparison to Saturday’s experience.”

At the annual meeting of the Temuka Pipe Band in January 1914, it was reported that there was a vacancy in the band with the departure of Piper Webb. This may well have been Andrew. Andrew Webb, junior, married Jeanie Graham in 1909. By 1911 Jeanie was at their Olliviers Road, Christchurch address. Their son Ronald Graham Webb was born in 1910 at Christchurch, and a second son, Jack Bruce Webb, in 1913. Both Ron and Bruce attended Phillipstown, Woolston and Beckenham schools.

Andrew Webb, of 42 Ollivier’s Road, Linwood, Christchurch, who was listed on the Reserve Rolls, enlisted voluntarily on 10 September 1917 at Christchurch. He was a motorman, married with two children under sixteen and Presbyterian. He had served in the 7th Contingent South African War. His first unit now was the Military Police. His medical examination was carried out by the Travelling Medical Board at Christchurch on 11 September 1917. He was 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighed 156 pounds, and had a chest measurement of 34½-37½ inches. His measurements varied little from 1901. His complexion was fair, his eyes grey and his hair brown. His sight, hearing, colour vision, heart and lungs were all normal, his limbs and chest well formed. He was free of diseases and was vaccinated, but he was not in good bodily and mental health. He had suffered enteric fever in the South Africa campaign 16 years ago and a fracture of his left femur at age of 10. The verdict was D.A.H. and auricular fibrillatesis. He was assessed as Class C2. Lance Corporal A. Webb was assessed by a Medical Board on 30 July 1918 at Christchurch. His original disability was D.A.H. which was due to causes existing prior to enlistment although the specific cause was unknown. As a consequence, he could not stand up to any hard work. Progress was stationary. His disease had not been contracted by his own action, nor by neglect or his mode of life. It was contracted under circumstances over which he had no control. He was not fit for Territorial Service or Home Service. Discharge from the Expeditionary Force was recommended (C2). On 27 August 1918, therefore, he was granted a Certificate of Leave in lieu of Discharge.

Andrew Webb (Jack) died on 3 August 1958 at Christchurch, aged 78 years. His next-of kin at death was his son, Mr R. G. Webb, Christchurch. His wife, Jeannie, predeceased him, dying in 1951 and buried at Sydenham Cemetery. Andrew was cremated at the Linwood Crematorium. He was survived by his two sons, Ron and Bruce (at Timaru). Ronald Graham Webb died in 1995 at Christchurch; Jack Bruce Webb died in 1981 at Timaru. By his Will (dated 1 April 1958), Andrew released his son Ronald from the sum owing to him; he made bequests to his son Bruce and to his grandchildren, Clare, Ronda and Lindsay Webb (children of his son Ronald). Ronald, however, lodged a caveat through his solicitor to delay action on the Will. At the beginning of September probate was granted.

Mrs Helen Jane Webb, one of South Canterbury’s oldest identities and the oldest pupil at the Milford School, died at her home (Princes Street, Temuka) in October 1938. She was survived by her husband, five sons (one having been killed in the Great War) and four daughters. Mr Andrew Webb, one of the oldest settlers in the Temuka district, died at the Timaru Hospital in January 1939. He, too, was survived by five sons (William having died in the Great War) and four daughters. All six sons of Andrew and Helen Jane Webb signed up for service in World War One. The eldest, Andrew Webb, had served in the South Africa War and was ruled out of further service on medical grounds; the second son, William Winnett Webb, was killed in action in 1915 at Gallipoli – “the eldest of the three brothers with the Main Body, sons of Mrs Webb, senr., Temuka”; the third son, Alexander Elder Edward Webb (Ted), served with the Otago Mounted Rifles; the fourth son, Henry Gordon John Webb (Gordon), was invalided home in 1916; the fifth son, Leslie Robert Sydney Webb, enlisted but saw no overseas service; and the youngest son, Seddon David Waddell Webb, served with the Otago Infantry Regiment and returned home invalided. Three cousins of the Webb brothers also served with the New Zealand Forces in World War One – Alexander Marshall whose death in 1961 was attributable to his service with the Forces, David Waddel and Edwin Waddel.


NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Collections Record number 01210101) [14 June 2023]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Collections Record number 0005879) [15 June 2023]; NZ BDM Indexes (Department of Internal Affairs) [2013]; School Admission records (South Canterbury Branch NZSG) [09 April 2023]; Temuka Leader, 12 April 1887, 7 November 1889, 12 & 17 December 1889, 12 August 1890, 24 December 1891, 11 March 1897, 14 March 1899, 28 February 1901, 2 March 1901, 9 April 1901, 19 September 1901, 5 November 1901, 22 April 1902, 12 June 1902, 1 July 1902, 7, 12 & 23 August 1902, 20 September 1902, 14 July 1903, 16 February 1905, 8 June 1909, 16 November 1912, 20 June 1914, 2 June 1917, 22 June 1918, Timaru Herald, 24 June 1916, 12 May 1926, 23 June 1926, 4 October 1938; 16 Jan 1939 [x 2], 17 Jan 1939, 19 Jan 1939, Press, 5 & 6 October 1938, 21 May 1951, 4 & 5 August 1958 (Papers Past) [09 April 2023; 14, 19 & 20 June 2023]; Sydenham Cemetery burial record (Christchurch City Council) [09 April 2023]; NZ Electoral Rolls ( [16 June 2023; 06 July 2023]; Probate record (Archives NZ Collections - Record number CH846/1958) [15 July 2023]

External Links

Related Documents

Researched and Written by

Currently Assigned to

Not assigned.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Logo. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.

Tell us more

Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!

Your Details
Veteran Details
- you may attach an image or document up to 10MB