SHAW, John Edward
(Service number 16126)

First Rank Trooper Last Rank


Date Unknown Place of Birth

Enlistment Information

Date Age
Address at Enlistment
Occupation Farm hand
Previous Military Experience
Marital Status
Next of Kin G.D. Shaw (father), Glen-iti, Timaru
Medical Information

Military Service

Served with NZ Armed Forces Served in Army
Military District

Embarkation Information

Body on Embarkation New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Unit, Squadron, or Ship 15th Reinforcements, New Zealand Mounted Rifles
Date 13 July 1916
Transport Manuka then transhipped to "Malwa" at Sydney for Suez, Egypt
Embarked From Destination
Other Units Served With Suez, Egypt
Last Unit Served With

Military Awards

Service Medals
Military Awards

Award Circumstances and Date

No information

Prisoner of War Information

Date of Capture
Where Captured and by Whom
Actions Prior to Capture
PoW Serial Number
PoW Camps
Days Interned
Liberation Date


Date Reason

Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses

Post-war Occupations


Date 25 June 1984 Age
Place of Death Timaru
Memorial or Cemetery
Memorial Reference
New Zealand Memorials

Biographical Notes

John (Jack) Edward Shawd had already served in the South Canterbury Mounted Rifles [Territorials] prior to World War One. He was a farm labourer from Glen-iti, Timaru, at the time of his enlistment.

Jack arrived in Egypt in August 1916 and was posted to 8th (South Canterbury) Mounted Rifles Squadron, with the rank of Trooper. On his arrival he was sent to hospital with Diptheria and on recovery was sent to school of instruction, before being posted to his squadron in the field in December 1916. At the end of May he was again in hospital, this time with tonsilitis, convalescing at Abbasia. At one point Jack was fined seven days pay for ''breaking camp''. He was then transferred to ANZAC signalling section and posted in the field in August 1917. Four months later he was back in hospital suffering from 'quinsy' and admitted to hospital in Gazza. He was transferred to an Egptian hospital in Abassia. He recovered to be posted to 8th Squadron in July 1918, in the Jordan Valley. Jack was again sent back to hospital at Belah, with a reoccurance of his tonsilitis, but was back with his squadron by the time the hostilities with the Ottoman forces had ended.

Jack was part of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles force that occupied the Dardenelles after the war. He left Egypt in July 1919, once again becoming sick on board with tonsilitis .

Jack's wife died in 1918 (maybe of influenza?) in Christchurch. JAck himself lived until 1984, when he died in Timaru


Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database [21 September 2017]; 'John (Jack) Shaw' on Unknown Wartriors of the NZEF [Facebook page], 4 May 2016.

External Links

Related Documents

No documents available.

Researched and Written by

Tony Rippin, South Canterbruy Museum

Currently Assigned to

Not assigned.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Logo. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.

Tell us more

Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!

Your Details
Veteran Details
- you may attach an image or document up to 10MB