IVERACH, John Alexander Douglas
(Service number 43920 (WWI); 37107 & 3/7e/a (WWII))
|Aliases||Known as Douglas or Doug|
|First Rank||Second Lieutenant||Last Rank||Second Lieutenant|
|Date||14 July 1895||Place of Birth||Temuka|
|Date||3 October 1916||Age||21 years|
|Address at Enlistment||65 Aikmans Rd, Christchurch|
|Previous Military Experience||1st Canterbury Infantry|
|Next of Kin||Mr James Iverach (father), Temuka, South Canterbury|
|Medical Information||Height 5 feet 10 inches. Weight 147 pounds. Chest measurement 31-35 inches. Complexion fresh. Eyes grey. Hair dark. Sight, hearing & colour vision all normal. Limbs well formed. Full & perfect movement of all joints. Chest well formed. Heart & lungs normal. No illnesses. Free from hernia, varicocele, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, inveterate of contagious skin disease. Vaccinated. Good bodily & mental health. Fit.|
|Served with||NZ Armed Forces||Served in||Army|
|Body on Embarkation||Canterbury Infantry Regiment|
|Unit, Squadron, or Ship||31st Reinforcements|
|Date||16 November 1917|
|Embarked From||Destination||Liverpool, Merseyside, England|
|Other Units Served With|
|Last Unit Served With||2nd Battalion, Canterbury Regiment|
|Service Medals||WWI: British War Medal; Victory Medal; WWII: General Service Medal; War Medal 1939-45; N.Z. War Service Medal|
|Military Awards||Military Cross|
Award Circumstances and Date
He made repeated reconnaissances to the front under difficult conditions and heavy fire and brought back the information that was required. His behaviour has always been conspicuous for gallantry and devotion to duty and he has set a fine example to his men. (London Gazette, 2 December 1918, p14290)
Prisoner of War Information
|Date of Capture|
|Where Captured and by Whom|
|Actions Prior to Capture|
|PoW Serial Number|
|Date||09/02/1919||Reason||Struck off strength|
Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses
7 September 1918 - slipped on edge of step leading to shelter & went over on left ankle. Newspapers reported not a severe case. Accidental injury; 8 September - admitted to Casualty Clearing Station - sprained ankle. Sent to England & admitted to Walton - fractured ankle. Ankle swollen & painful. Two weeks later walking with aid of sticks & without pain in foot. Injury severe but not permanent. 27 September transferred from Walton to Brighton. 22 October discharged from Brighton Convalescent Hospital. “Ankle stronger. Still slight wasting left leg.” General health good. Could walk considerable distance without discomfort but after being on feet for some time had some aching in left ankle joint. Left calf ½ inch less than right. Not be fit for general service for one month.
Medical practitioner; Physician
|Place of Death||29 Newington Avenue, Dunedin (residence)|
|Notices||Press, 19 March 1965|
|Memorial or Cemetery||Cremated, ashes interred Andersons Bay Cemetery, Dunedin|
|Memorial Reference||Block 103, Plots 2 & 3|
|New Zealand Memorials|
John Alexander Douglas, known as Douglas, was born on 14 July 1895 at Temuka, the only son of James and Isabella (née Vallance) Iverach. Douglas and his five sisters were educated at Temuka School, where they all flourished. Mr Iverach donated school prizes from the mid-1890s. Douglas started in November 1900 and received a mention the following year when he gave a recitation, “Opening Speech”, at the annual concert in aid of the Temuka District High School prize fund. In 1902 he received a special award for Standard I and a prize and second-class certificate for Attendance. The children enjoyed receiving their prizes the more, observed the headmaster, when they were handed to them by one whom they all knew – Mrs Hayhurst, the Mayoress. His oldest sister, Isabella (Isa), was named girls’ dux. He was again recognised for Attendance in 1903 and received a Merit Prize for Standard II. Many of the prizes were books, but there were also work-boxes, pen-knives, cricket balls, writing cases and fancy articles. Along with his Attendance award in 1905, he witnessed the naming as girls’ dux of his second sister, Jean. Following the examinations held on 11th and 12th December 1906, J. A. D. Iverach was the winner of a national scholarship. In his first year of high school, in 1907, Douglas was placed 3rd in English, geometry, chemistry and Latin. In the same year, he scored very well in the scholarship examinations. In the high school senior section of 1909, his prizes were for 1st English, 2nd Latin and chemistry, and 3rd arithmetic, as well as an attendance award. J. A. D. Iverach, Temuka district High School, was successful in the South Canterbury Education Board’s senior scholarship examination held in November 1909, finishing in ninth place. 1910 was the pinnacle of Douglas’ schooling at Temuka District High School, when, in the 3rd year of the Secondary Department, he was named Dux and received an attendance award. Douglas Iverach (“last year’s dux”) received a prize for fourth year General Proficiency in 1911.
“There are now on view in Mr Keys’ show window the Temuka Veterans’ Riflc Club’s badges. . . . . . . . There is also on exhibition in Mr Keys’ window the medals awarded to the duxes of the primary and secondary departments of the Temuka District High School for the year ending 1910. These are of solid gold in the form of a Maltese cross, with a raised polished centre on which are engraved the initials of the school, the date, and the names of the winners. One bears the name of J. A. D. Iverach (the dux of the. secondary department) and the other the name of John Moore (dux of the primary department).” [Temuka Leader, 29 Dec 1910.] His 1912 prize was for Class V of the Secondary Division. A telegram from Wellington in January 1913 advised “that among the first hundred who passed the Junior Civil Service examination is one Timaru candidate, John Alexander Iverach, of Temuka, whose name is sixth in the list.” He qualified for a senior free place. The same newspaper reported that Douglas Iverach had been appointed a pupil teacher at Temuka. The March 1914 meeting of the school committee was advised that the three pupil teachers, Master Iverach one of them, had been selected among the Senior Cadets invited to visit Ashburton. The choice was made “on the grounds of competency and good conduct”.
Mr Jas Iverach, a builder at Temuka, suffered serious injuries to his foot and leg in June 1903 and was hospitalized for many months. He made progress but slowly. Fortunately, his leg did not have to be amputated as initially thought. Douglas Iverach was placed second in the Boys’ 3rd Class at the Temuka Presbyterian Sunday School in August 1903. In 1906 he earned a first class certificate in the Sabbath School examinations. He was elected an officer at the Presbyterian Young Men’s Bible Class AGM in July 1913. For many years the Iverach family was well represented in Presbyterian Church activities.
At the annual meeting of the Temuka Caledonian Society held in early October 1910, the Society was thanked for granting a scholarship to Temuka District High School. It was awarded to Master Douglas Iverach, “who was well worthy of the honour.” At the November 1911 farewell for a much-esteemed teacher, Master Iverach acted on behalf of the High School pupils, presenting a gift (handsome leather wallet and silver pencil) and wishing the recipient continued success. Douglas Iverach played cricket while he was at high school.
In 1914 Douglas embarked on university studies. In December of that year, he gave 10 shillings to the British and Belgian Fund, while in 1915 his father contributed to the Fund for Sick and Wounded Soldiers and Dependents. He qualified in Latin, English and chemistry for the first section of a B.A. in April 1916 at Canterbury College and he passed third year terms in October. He was successful in November 1916 examinations for the granting of the Bachelor of Arts degree. His degree was conferred in May-June 1917.
Meanwhile, J. A. D. Iverach had responded to the “Call to the Colour”. A school teacher, single and Presbyterian, residing at 65 Aikmans Road, Christchurch, he enlisted on 3 October 1916 at Christchurch and named his father as next-of-kin – Mr James Iverach, Temuka, South Canterbury. He was already serving with the 1st Canterbury Infantry. Of fair complexion, grey eyes and dark hair, he had been medically examined on 27 July 1916 and declared fit. His sight, hearing and colour vision were all normal, as were his heart and lungs. His limbs and chest were well formed. He was free of all diseases and illnesses.
He left Christchurch for Trentham Camp for the 24th Reinforcements on 5 January 1917. The men paraded at the King Edward Barracks before taking the train to the boat. In March, assigned to C Company of the 27th Reinforcements, Corporal Iverach was to be sergeant. In June, after returning to camp from his home, he was appointed 2nd lieutenant and posted to the 31st Reinforcements. It was in June at Trentham that he passed the special examination and obtained the necessary marks for first appointment to a commission. A few days’ leave was again spent with his parents at Temuka in September. 2nd Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach was appointed to the N.Z.E.F. to proceed on active service on 14 November 1917. He embarked with the 31st Reinforcements per the “Tahiti” on 16 November 1917, destined for Liverpool, Merseyside, England, where he disembarked on 7 January 1918.
Having marched into Sling on 8 January 1918, Iverach proceeded overseas on 4 April and joined his battalion of the Canterbury Infantry Regiment at Rouen. A letter received in July 1918 from a Geraldine serviceman overseas mentioned that he had met quite a number of boys from Temuka and Geraldine, including Douglas Iverach. On 19 June 1918 2nd Lieutenant Iverach of the 2nd Battalion Canterbury Regiment was detached to the 3rd Army S.O.S. School and attached to Strength two weeks later, being appointed Scout Officer Field. He relinquished this appointment after being detached to Headquarters in France.
On 7 September 1918, the 2nd Battalion (Canterbury Regiment) headquarters was situated in a deep dugout on the Southern edge of Havrincourt Wood. Orders were given that the dugout was to be evacuated, as it was suspected of being mined. The battalion headquarters moved back to an iron shelter. While going down the steps leading to the shelter, Iverach slipped on the edge of one step and went over on his left ankle. At the time he was carrying not only his own full pack but also the pack of the Commanding Officer. The September 1918 newspapers reported that the case of 2nd Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach, 43920, of Temuka, was not a severe one. The casualty was reported as an accidental injury. He was admitted to the Casualty Clearing Station with a sprained ankle before being sent to England and admitted to Walton two days later with a fractured ankle. The Medical Board found that the ankle was swollen and painful following the injury. Two weeks later he was walking with the aid of sticks and without pain in the foot. Although the injury was severe it was not permanent. Having been transferred from Walton to Brighton on 27 September, he was discharged from the Convalescent Hospital there to Headquarters in London on 22 October. The Medical Board Report on a Disabled Officer of 22 October 1918 reported “Ankle stronger. Still slight wasting left leg.” His general health was good. Iverach himself stated that he could walk a considerable distance without discomfort but after being on his feet for some time he had some aching in his left ankle joint. His left calf was ½ inch less than the right. He would not be fit for general service for one month.
Among the honours in recent fighting which were gazetted in September 1918 and conferred in November was the award of the Military Cross to Second Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach, 43920, for acts of gallantry in the field. Some newspapers reported in November that he had been awarded a bar to the M.C., but this may have been an error caused by transposition of names and headings. In the event, Iverach’s award was not conferred in November. In a letter dated 3rd December 1918, the Home Correspondent of the Press gave some details of some of the decorations won by New Zealand soldiers. Among those mentioned was Second-Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach, of Temuka, of whom it was said — “Second-Lieutenant John A. D. Iverach, 2nd Battalion, Canterbury Regiment, made repeated reconnaissances to the front under difficult conditions and heavy fire, and brought back the information that was required. His behaviour has always been conspicuous for gallantry and devotion to duty, and he has set a fine example to his men.”
Second Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach (M.C.) returned home by Draft 204 which was due to arrive in a New Zealand port in January 1919. The “Tahiti”, carrying 950 soldiers, left from Liverpool on 3 December 1918 and reached Port Chalmers on 12 January after a voyage of 40 days. The men had had a very warm welcome at Panama and were greatly indebted to the people there for their kindness. During the voyage physical training was conducted with excellent results. The Medical Board assembled on the “Tahiti” on 4 January 1919 determined that his recovery was practically complete and consequent disability was “nil except for slight weakness of left ankle”. He was granted privilege leave from 13 January 1919 to 9 February 1919.
“When the troop train arrived [at Temuka], shortly before 5 o’clock, there was well on to a thousand people, from all parts of the district, awaiting it. The train steamed in amidst the cheers of those assembled and the strains of a welcoming air played by the Juvenile Brass Band.” Among the soldiers who arrived was Second-Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach, Military Cross, of Temuka. “And with the soldiers who arrived earlier in the afternoon, and headed by the Band, playing inspiriting music, they were driven to the post office, where a thousand or more people soon assembled. It was as happy a gathering as was ever seen in Temuka.” Mr Gunnion “did not know how to express his feelings of gratitude. He could only say we are proud of you, and we are glad to see you back again. On behalf of the Temuka Patriotic Entertainment Committee he thanked them for what they had done. The Mayor said that they “had come back with victory. One of the great points, it seemed to him, was that they had been living by war, and now they had come to live by peace; as they had been successful in war, so he hoped they would be successful in peace.” “Lieutenant Iverach, M.C., who was received with applause, said on behalf of his digger comrades he thanked them for their hearty welcome. He assured them that they were very glad to be back and to see their old town again, and now that the job which they went to do was practically done, they hoped very soon to get into their civilian clothes and do civilian work again.”
A welcome home social was held in the Presbyterian Sunday School in February 1919 for two Bible Class workers, who had returned from active service – Messrs Methven and Iverach. The frequent applause and cheering that followed the speeches showed the spirit of appreciation of those present. It was hoped that a Sunday afternoon would be set aside for the boys to tell some of their experiences at the front. All joined in singing “For they are jolly good fellows.” “Mr Iverach, in a modest and cheerful speech, thanked them for the hearty reception social that had been arranged on their return amongst them. He felt that in going into active service they had only done their duty —nothing more. His opinion was that the mothers of the soldiers had put up the greatest fight of all. Those who went to the front had done their duty, and now it was a pleasure to be amongst them again. Mr Methven also thanked the friends for the hearty welcome extended to them.”
He was struck off the strength of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, effective from 9th February 1919, and was absorbed into the strength of the Unattached List. A few months later, he applied to be posted to the Territorial Force. He had received his Parchment Commission in June and had taken the Oath of Allegiance. In 1921 2nd Lieutenant Iverach, whose residential address was Temuka, S. Canterbury, was posted to the Retired List. Officers on the Retired List were permitted to retain their rank and wear uniforms on special occasions, when attending ceremonials and entertainments of a military nature, and at such other times when the wearing of uniform appeared appropriate. Those on the Retired List were required to report their address annually. When J. A. D. Iverach reported his address in January 1922, he gave Temuka until 7 March (approximately) and Knox College, Dunedin, from 7 March.
John Alexander Douglas Iverach was capped Bachelor of Arts on 20 June 1919. Then he embarked on a different field of study, gaining first-class passes in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Otago in October 1919 – Biology Theory (first equal), Organic Chemistry (first equal) and Physics. By mid-1921 he had passed the first professional medical examination, and by mid-1922 the second examination. In August 1922, when he was into his fourth year of medical studies, he became the president of the Otago University Students’ Association. At a meeting in Wellington of the Executive Committee of the National War Funds Council in April 1923, “the renewal of the national war fund bursaries to returned soldiers whose university courses had been interrupted by war services was reviewed for the year 1925-24.” Eleven students, all studying at the Otago Medical School, were granted bursaries for the year ending March 31, 1924. J. A. D. Iverach was one of the recipients. It was in August 1923 that he passed all subjects of the first section of the final examination in Medicine. The following month he donated 10 shillings to the Canterbury University College War Memorial Fund. Having passed the final examination for the degree of M.B., Ch.B. in December 1923, Dr Douglas Iverach commenced duty as junior house surgeon at Dunedin Hospital on 1 February 1924. The Medical Travelling Scholarship was awarded to J. A. D. Iverach, M.B., Ch.B., University of Otago, in April, and also the Marjorie McCallum medal. His degree – Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery - was conferred at the Capping Ceremony held on 18 July 1924. In January 1925 he was appointed assistant medical officer at the hospital, being the first medical officer with only one year’s hospital experience to be appointed to the position. Dr Iverach left for England by the s.s. Matatua in August 1925. By November he was in Edinburgh to take up the travelling scholarship. He expected to be there for a year at least as he worked to be admitted to membership of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh). He did reach his goal (reported in August 1926) and it was November 1926 when he returned home. The dinner given by the members of the George street “clinic ” on Thursday night was a great success, and the hosts and hostesses (. . . . . . , and Dr J. A. D. Iverach) can feel well pleased with themselves, reported the Evening Star of 5 February 1927.
At an investiture held in the Dunedin Town Hall on 25 July 1921, His Excellency the Governor-General, Viscount Jellicoe, conferred war honours on thirteen men and one woman. A guard of honour was provided by the Cadets of the Otago Boys’ High School and the school bugle band played the salute. Among the recipients of decorations was Second-lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach who was presented with his Military Cross. When Iverach had enquired earlier about his Military Cross, he was informed that it had not been received from London and that, in any case where an investiture had not been held in London, decorations were presented by the Governor-General. Iverach had requested that his Military Cross be presented at the investiture in Dunedin, for, although his home was in Temuka, he was attending the University of Otago and it would be much more convenient.
In 1923, Canterbury College published a list of the names of past and present students of the College who were known to have been serving with His Majesty’s Forces during 1914-18. There, listed under Military Cross, was Lieutenant John Alexander Douglas Iverach, and as one who served. Douglas Iverach married Margaret Caroline Zealandia Ross (Zeala) in 1927. He was best man at his sister’s Jessie’s wedding the following year.
IN ARDUIS , FIDELIS. “In proud Memory of the Officers and Men of the N.Z. Medical Corps who were trained on these grounds 1914-1918, and who sacrificed their lives for the Empire.” This is the inscription on a unique memorial which was unveiled and dedicated at the Awapuni racecourse at the beginning of December 1929. Among the surviving officers “whose names are available, and to whom invitations to be present have been extended” was J. A. D. Iverach, M.C. (Dunedin).
In September 1930, Dr Iverach was elected an elder of the First Church of Otago. In November 1937, the matron of Ross Home reported that the services of the honorary physician, Dr Iverach, were very much in demand. In February 1928, Dr Iverach was transferred from the Retired List and subsequently appointed, as Lieutenant of the Otago University Coy, to the New Zealand Medical Corps. He desired to serve on the Active List of that Unit. The annual report on Lieut. J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., Otago University Company, N.Z. Medical Corps, dated 16 May 1929 was impressive – “An extremely keen and capable Officer. His war service as an Infantry Officer has proved of the greatest value to the training of the Unit. He has already qualified as a Captain though not yet eligible for promotion. He is a first class Officer.” He had qualified for promotion to the rank of Captain in the September 1928 examination. He had, however, not served the required term of one year to make him eligible to sit for examination.
The annual report on Lieut. J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., Otago University Company, N.Z. Medical Corps for the year 1929/30 was again impressive – “A most capable and reliable officer whose combatant experience in the late war is of the utmost value in training.” In June 1929, being a medical practitioner appointed by the Defence Department for service in connection with the medical examination and treatment of members of the New Zealand Defence Forces, Dr Iverach agreed to the pay and allowances provided. “According to the New Zealand Gazette (No. 31), dated April 23,1931, Lieutenant J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., M. B., Otago University Medical Company, is promoted to the rank of captain, as from March 5, 1931.” [Otago Daily Times, 29 April 1931.] He had continued to serve as a member of the Territorial Force, holding the ranks of lieutenant, captain, major and lieutenant-colonel, and, during the 1920s and 1930s, passing several examinations for promotion. He was shown as “Efficient” in his training years from 1911 till 1937. His annual report for the training year 1931/32 read “A capable and thoroughly efficient officer.”
Dr J. A. D. Iverach, a lecturer in pharmacology at Otago University, was granted one year's leave of absence in July 1933 to visit Great Britain for the purposes of post-graduate study. He was also granted leave of absence from the honorary visiting of Dunedin Hospital, and from the Southern Command of the New Zealand Defence Forces, including the Annual Training in 1934. It was 17 October when he left Dunedin en route to London. Having returned to the Dominion, Captain Iverach, N.Z.M.C., attended a camp at Waikouaiti with his Unit in early March 1935.
The Otago University Company, part of the New Zealand Medical Corps, arrived back in Dunedin on 29 February 1936 after a week under canvas at Sutton. One of the officers who attended was Captain J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., second m command. The following year he was there again at the Sutton Camp in the same capacity. On this occasion he gave an evening lecture on ‘The Medical Examination of the Recruit’. Following his success in the Promotion Examination held in August, Captain J. A. D. Iverach, New Zealand Medical Corps, was promoted to major on 1 November 1937. Major J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., N.Z.M.C., was second in command of the Otago University Medical Company of the New Zealand Medical Corps, which was a training unit and held annual eight-day camps at Sutton. He was again second in command for the Company’s combined camp at Burnham in February 1939. On 15 March 1939 he was appointed to command the Otago University Medical Company, N.Z.M.C.
“Aspects of Medicine as Shown by Shakespeare” was the subject of an address to the Medical History Society by Dr J. A. D. Iverach, in August 1939. In November of that year the Hospital Board granted Dr Iverach leave of absence while he was on military service, but only after some questioning of the Government with regard to the loss of essential teachers at the Medical School – Dr Iverach being named in this regard - who had enlisted. “The number of medical students is rising steadily,” said Dr Hercus [dean of the Medical School], “and men such as Dr Iverach indispensable in teaching. . . . . I do not think anything they could be asked to do in the army could be more important than their teaching. We admire the spirit they have shown in enlisting, but from a national point of view I believe their task is here.” Major John Alexander Douglas Iverach had registered at Dunedin on 16 October 1939 for service with the Special Force. He attested on 2 November 1939 and entered camp on 6 January 1941, His next-of-kin was now his wife, Mrs Margaret C. Z. Iverach, 29 Newington Avenue, Dunedin. He was now 44 years 90 days old, 6 feet tall, weighed 12 stone 12 pounds and had a chest expansion of 3½ inches. His sight, hearing, colour vision and nervous system were all satisfactory; his tongue and fauces were healthy; his limbs were well formed. The results of a chest X-ray were good. He had had a tonsillectomy 9 years earlier. During World War Two Dr Iverach was to serve in New Zealand as Commanding Officer of the 16 Field Ambulance.
The Otago University Medical Company spent 10 days in camp at Cave in February 1940 under the command of Major J. A. D. Iverach. The members of the company were all medical or dental students in various stages of their courses, and their work in camp was related to the medical and dental problems that occur in armies both in peace and in war. The local Red Cross organisation arranged a dance one evening, to which the company was invited, and in return the men gave a concert in the hall on the last evening in camp. In March 1942 Major Iverach returned to the active list. The following year he contributed to the Dunedin-St Kilda Patriotic Fund and in May 1945 to the R.S.A. Building Appeal. Over the years he also supported the Nurses’ Association in their quest to establish a Memorial Fund and build a hospital chapel.
During 1941 and 1942 Iverach served at Camp Hospital and Military School at Burnham and with the Field Ambulance at Trentham. In January 1941 he suffered a mild attack of heat-stroke. He experienced insomnia and general debility following a period of stress and over-work and succumbed at the end of a very hot and heavy day. On discharge in mid-January his condition was satisfactory. He received a good report in all areas of his February 1941 Course of Instruction in Infantry Drill and Medical Corps Training. “A keen and efficient Officer.” In March 1941, Major Iverach was one of the Officers of the Otago University Medical Corps to form a Guard of Honour at the main entrance of the Public Hospital on the visit of His Excellency the Governor General. In the same month he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, congratulations being offered on “this well deserved step”. “He has held his present rank for two years and is satisfactorily carrying out his duties during the period of intensive training of his unit now in operation at Burnham Camp.” (February 1941) In August he transferred from the Otago University Medical Company to the Reserve of Officers. He had also asked for leave of absence from the Hospital Board for health reasons. He had been extremely busy with his private practice and medical examinations of Air Force Recruits, as well as sbeing on the Visiting Staff of the Dunedin Hospital. He was one of the Medical Officers who were noted as “key men” when their release on War Mobilization was required. He was transferred from the Reserve of Officers to the Active List, with the N.Z. Medical Corps, to command the 16th Fortress Ambulance with the rank of Major in February 1942, having applied for this transfer in late 1941. In March 1943 he relinquished his command of the 16th Field Ambulance and was transferred to the Reserve of Officers, Southern Military District, after 25 years of Commissioned Service to the New Zealand Forces. Iverach had been commissioned since November 1917. This transfer was due to ill health and pressure of hospital duties. “Major Iverach’s health is again uncertain and in addition his Hospital duties and practice are absorbing all his time.” As of 1943 he had already made a Will which was lodged with solicitors in Dunedin.
Dr and Mrs Iverach sailed on the Athenic to visit Britain in January 1950 and returned to their Dunedin home (Morven) by the Rangitoto in November.
Major J. A. D. Iverach, M.C., M.B., Ch.B, of the Royal N.Z. Army Medical Corps, was posted to the Retirement List with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel on 16 July 1952. At a meeting of the Otago University Council in July 1955, tributes were paid to Dr Professor J. A. D. Iverach who was retiring. In July 1959 Dr J. A. D. Iverach, of Dunedin, was appointed a member of the Medical Council, representing the New Zealand branch of the British Medical Association.
John Alexander Douglas Iverach, M.C., B.A., M.B.Ch.B., F.R.C.P. (Edin.), F.R.A.C.P, died on 8 March 1965 at his Dunedin residence, aged 69 years. He was cremated and his ashes were interred with those of his wife in the Ross family plot at Andersons Bay Cemetery. Zeala had died on 29 December 1956, also at their residence. Cremation and interment were as per his Will. By his Will (dated 1963), Dr Iverach provided pecuniary legacies to his sisters, his late wife’s nephews and nieces, friends and colleagues, his god-daughter, his housekeeper; and to the New Zealand Nurses Memorial Fund, the Deacons’ Court of First (Presbyterian) Church, the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Sydney, NSW). He permitted his sister Jean Tannahill O’Connor to have the free use, occupation and enjoyment of his residential property (“Morven”, Newington Avenue) during her lifetime. He made many gifts, including bequests bequests to the Council of the University of Otago and Knox College, Dunedin.. He enabled the British Medical Association to set up a medical prize fund (J A D IVERACH memorial). Douglas’s parents moved from Temuka to Dunedin in the late 1920s or early 1930s, probably to be closer to their family, and died in Dunedin and were buried there.
Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database [24 November 2015; 22 March 2022]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ ref. AABK 18805 0360519) [26 April 2022]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ ref. AABK 18805 0059304) [29 March 2022; 26 April 2022]; NZ BDM Indexes (Department of Internal Affairs) [22 March 2022]; School Admission record (South Canterbury Branch NZSG) [22 March 2022]; Timaru Herald, 21 December 1896, 21 December 1897, 2 December 1901, 25 January 1907, 25 January 1908, 24 December 1909, 18 January 1910, 6 October 1910, 20 December 1912, 24 January 1913, 23 December 1914, 7 September 1915, 29 May 1917, 20 September 1917, 12 December 1918, 8 January 1919, 24 Dec 1923, 10 January 1924, Temuka Leader, 20 December 1902, 27 June 1903, 1 September 1903, 19 December 1903, 24 December 1904, 15 September 1905, 16 December 1905, 17 February 1906, 21 December 1907, 17 & 29 December 1910, 30 November 1911, 16 December 1911, 23 January 1913, 4 February 1913, 26 July 1913, 19 March 1914 [x 2], 2 June 1917, 16 July 1918, 21 November 1918, 14 & 30 January 1919, 20 February 1919, 18 October 1919, 17 January 1925, 15 August 1925, 28 November 1925, 13 November 1926, Otago Daily Times, 31 October 1914, 29 April 1931, 19 & 28 July 1933, 18 October 1933, 9 November 1936, 4 August 1938, 11 February 1939, 27 April 1939, 19 August 1939, 5 March 1940, 26 March 1942, 5 May 1943, 19 May 1945, 25 Aug 1948, 10 January 1950, 10 November 1950, Dominion, 1 May 1916, 19 March 1919, Sun, 28 October 1916, 27 June 1917, Press, 6 & 8 January 1917, 12 May 1923, 10 September 1923, 25 July 1959, Evening Post, 22 March 1917, 30 May 1917, 9 June 1917, 24 July 1917, 8 November 1917, 25 September 1918, 16 November 1918, 8 June 1922, 17 April 1924, NZ Times, 26 July 1917, Evening Star, 4 October 1918, 29 October 1919, 25 July 1921, 16 August 1922, 14 April 1923, 6 August 1923, 24 April 1924, 19 July 1924, 5 August 1926, 19 November 1926, 5 February 1927, 18 September 1930, , 3 March 1936, 31 March 1937, 8 November 1937, 17 October 1939, 22 & 24 November 1939, Rangitikei Advocate and Manawatu Argus, 19 November 1918, Lyttelton Times, 6 January 1919, Star, 20 June 1919, Otago Witness, 4 November 1919, NZ Herald, 11 June 1921, Manawatu Standard, 30 November 1929 (Papers Past) [22 March 2022]; Andersons Bay Dunedin Crematorium & Cemetery records (Dunedin City Council) [22 March 2022]; References to Otago Daily Times, 23 November 1955, 9 March 1965, 26 November 1965 (Otago Daily Times Nominal Index) [29 April 2022]; NZ Electoral Rolls (ancestry.com.au) [29 April 2022]; Probate record (Archives NZ/Family Search) [29 April 2022]
Researched and Written by
Currently Assigned to
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.
Tell us more
Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!