SCOTT, Leonard Charles
(Service number 13/2908)

First Rank Trooper Last Rank Sergeant


Date 21 August 1897 Place of Birth Woodbury, South Canterbury

Enlistment Information

Date 21 August 1897 Age 18 years 2 months
Address at Enlistment Agriculture Department, NZ. (Cricklewood)
Occupation Civil Servant - Clerk (Civil Service)
Previous Military Experience C Battery Hamilton (still serving)
Marital Status Single
Next of Kin Alfred SCOTT (father), Cricklewood, South Canterbury
Religion Anglican
Medical Information Height 5 feet 7 inches. Weight 156 lbs. Chest measurement 33-36 inches. Complexion medium. Eyes hazel. Hair brown. Sight – both eyes 6/6. Hearing & colour vision both normal. Limbs well formed. Full & perfect movement of all joints. Chest well formed. Heart & lungs normal. Teeth good. Free from hernia, varicocele, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, inveterate or contagious skin disease. Vaccination mark. Good bodily & mental health. No slight defects. No fits. Two moles on right side of chest.

Military Service

Served with NZ Armed Forces Served in Army
Military District

Embarkation Information

Body on Embarkation New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Unit, Squadron, or Ship 9th Reinforcements Auckland Mounted Rifles, A Squadron
Date 8 January 1916
Transport Maunganui
Embarked From Wellington Destination Suez, Egypt
Other Units Served With NZ Field Artillery
Last Unit Served With NZ Field Artillery

Military Awards

Campaigns Egyptian; Western European
Service Medals British War Medal; Victory Medal
Military Awards

Award Circumstances and Date

No information

Prisoner of War Information

Date of Capture
Where Captured and by Whom
Actions Prior to Capture
PoW Serial Number
PoW Camps
Days Interned
Liberation Date


Date 21 July 1919 Reason On termination of period of engagement.

Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses

23 May 1917, France – sent to hospital, sick; infection in his knee; admitted to 2nd New Zealand Field Ambulance, 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 3rd Canadian General Hospital. 30 May 1917 - embarked for England by Hospital Ship St Denis; admitted to the 2nd NZ General Hospital at Walton – slight abscess on right patella. 3 July 1917 transferred to Convalescent Depot at Hornchurch. 4 August 1917 left Hornchurch. 21 March 1918 - reported wounded in action in France - severe shrapnel wounds to right knee; 22 March admitted to hospital in France; 23 March 1918 transferred to No. 1 Convalescent Depot.

Post-war Occupations

Clerk; civil servant


Date 15 August 1971 Age 74 years
Place of Death Silverstream
Memorial or Cemetery Paraparaumu Cemetery
Memorial Reference Block X, Plot 28, Monumental Beam
New Zealand Memorials St Stephen's Anglican Church, Fairlie, Roll of Honour (served)

Biographical Notes

Leonard Charles Scott, born on 21 August 1897 at Woodbury, South Canterbury, was the second son of Alfred and Mary Elizabeth (née Wood) Scott, of Cricklewood, South Canterbury. Leonard started at Cricklewood School on his fifth birthday and moved to Pleasant Point District High School in 1911. He did well at school, obtaining his Standard VI Proficiency Certificate while at Cricklewood. In January 1913 at Pleasant Point, he qualified for a Senior Scholarship for a Free Place. The Pleasant Point District High School held a garden party in mid-December 1913. “The first item was a display of rifle drill and movements by a party of cadets tinder the command of Leonard Scott, a senior pupil in the High School.” Leonard capped 1913 by being named Dux of the High School. He started his working life with an appointment as a probationer at Albury School. Before long this popular young man was off to greener pastures, having been selected in May 1914 for the position of clerk at the Raukura Agricultural College in the North Island. At one of the most pleasant functions to have taken place in Cricklewood - at the residence of Mr Alfred Scott - the residents of the district showed their esteem for young Leonard Scott. In presenting him with a handsome travelling bag and a purse of sovereigns, several speakers “dwelt on the many excellent qualities possessed by the young guest of the evening, especially his unfailing courtesy to young and old alike. . . . . . Mr Leonard Scott heartily thanked his well-wishers for such magnificent tokens of their appreciation of himself. He expressed his sorrow at leaving the district where he had spent such a happy period of his life. He would never forget the kind friends whom he left behind in Cricklewood, and wished them in their turn all happiness and prosperity.” The very happy and enjoyable evening concluded with hearty cheers for Mr L. Scott, and Mr and Mrs Alfred Scott, and the singing of Auld Lang Syne.

All too soon, Leonard Charles Scott had enlisted for service with the New Zealand Forces, putting his age up by two years to do so on 19 October 1915 at Trentham. He was already serving with G Battery, Hamilton. Leonard underwent two medical examinations, with slight variations mostly in measurements. He stood at 5 feet 7 inches, weighed 156 pounds, and had a chest measurement of 33-36 inches. His complexion was medium, his eyes hazel and his hair brown. He was in good health all round, having normal sight, hearing, colour vision, heart and lungs, well-formed limbs and chest, good teeth, and no diseases. He was a civil servant with the Agriculture Department at Ruakura Farm, single and Anglican. He named his father as next-of-kin – Alfred Scott, Cricklewood, South Canterbury. A social had been held at Cricklewood on 15 October to bid him good-bye. He was presented with a wristlet watch and a set of military brushes, on behalf of the district, and wished success and a safe return. His brother, Percival George Scott, had already gone to the Front.

Trooper L. C. Scott embarked with the Auckland Mounted Rifles, leaving Welling for Suez, Egypt, on 8 January 1916 by the “Maunganui”. He disembarked at Suez on 12 February and was transferred to the New Zealand Field Artillery in early March. Having been appointed acting sergeant in June 1916, he relinquished that appointment in February 1917 at his own request and was appointed acting bombardier. In April he was promoted to bombardier.

He had been serving in France for thirteen months when he was sent to hospital, sick, on 23 May 1917. Suffering an infection in his knee, he was admitted, in succession, to the 2nd New Zealand Field Ambulance, the 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station and the 3rd Canadian General Hospital. He embarked for England by the Hospital Ship St Denis on 30 May and was admitted to the 2nd NZ General Hospital at Walton, with a slight abscess on his right patella. On 3 July 1917 he was transferred to Convalescent Depot at Hornchurch. Leaving Hornchurch on 4 August 1917, he was to report to Chadderton on 20 August. It was on 17 October 1917 that he left again for France and was able to re-join his unit.

He was detached to the School of Instruction for two weeks in February-March 1918. It was reported on 21 March 1918 that Leonard Scott had been wounded in action in France. He suffered severe shrapnel wounds to his right knee and was admitted to hospital in France on 20 March; on 23 March 1918 he was transferred to No. 1 Convalescent Depot and the following day to the Base Depot in France. It was 8 April 1918 when he again joined his unit in the Field. On 20 June 1918, while with the 1st Battalion of the New Zealand Field Artillery, he was appointed Temporary Corporal. He was promoted to corporal on 28 July and appointed temporary sergeant in September. Having been detached to the Officers’ Training College in October 1918, he was promoted to sergeant. 13/2908 Sgt. L. C. Scott was training for an artillery commission in the N.Z.E.F.

He was in good condition at the medical examination at Sling on 14 April 1919, although he still suffered occasional pain in his right knee joint. Sgt L. C. Scott, of the 9ths, returned to New Zealand for demobilization, one of 1128 soldiers aboard the “Maunganui”, embarking at Liverpool on 17 May 1919. The South Canterbury men arrived in Timaru by special train from Dunedin on 23 June. Although “a bleak wind and a cold driving rain” greeted them, a very large gathering of family and friends afforded them a warm welcome. The Mayor and local M.P. were waiting to address the soldiers but the “surging mass of civilians” made this impossible. Among those who detrained at Timaru was Sergeant L. C. Scott (Cricklewood).

One of the most successful socials in honour of returned soldiers was held at Fairlie in early July 1919. “Although the night was pouring wet the hall was crowded, and song, dance, and music were indulged in until well after midnight. . . . . . Before supper the soldiers in whose honour the social was held were invited to mount the stage, and hearty cheers greeted them.” They included Sergeant Scott (Cricklewood). “A speech of welcome and congratulation was given . . . . . and eulogistic reference was made to the doings of the men in the late conflict. . . . . . The gathering that night, in spite of storm and rain, was the best evidence that the soldiers had earned the gratitude of the people, and they all wished the men good fortune in the future. . . . . . A bountiful supper was provided and was much appreciated. . . . . . A vote of thanks to all helpers followed by the National Anthem, brought the proceedings to a conclusion.”

Leonard Scott was discharged on 21 July 1919 after nearly four years of duty and was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal for his service in Egypt and Europe. After the war he returned to Wellington and resumed his work as a clerk with the Department of Agriculture. Leonard married Madeline Erma Fielder on 22 November 1922. On the death of the accountant of the reparation estates in February 1929, he was appointed to the position. In September 1940, Leonard spent a weekend with his brother Percy and his wife Annie at their Orari Bridge home.

Leonard Charles Scott died on 18 August 1971 at Silverstream in the Hutt Valley, just a few days before his 74th birthday. He was buried at Paraparaumu Beach Cemetery with Madeline who had died in 1969. His older brother Percival George Scott also served in World War One, as did two cousins - Albert Scott (US forces) and Aubrey William Scott, all of whom belonged to South Canterbury. Yet another was called up – Oswald Murdoch Scott, of Woodbury, while Robert Leonard Scott was drawn in the ballot. As well, an uncle, Leonard Percy Scott, who was a married man with two children, was listed on the Reserve Rolls.


Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database [08 August 2013]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives ref. AABK 18805 W5553 0102674) [08 May 2016]; NZ BDM Indexes (Department of Internal Affairs) [11 August 2014]; School Admission records (South Canterbury Branch NZSG) [09 August 2014; 19 August 2022]; Timaru Herald, 9 February 1911, 24 January 1913 [x 2], 16 & 23 December 1913, 28 January 1914, 5 May 1914, 30 October 1915, 11 June 1917, 21 July 1917, 4 April 1918, 12, 16 & 24 June 1919, 8 July 1919, 27 February 1929, 6 September 1940, Evening Post, 3 February 1919, NZ Times, 14 June 1919 (Papers Past) [11 August 2014; 07 April 2015; 14 August 2021; 16, 18 & 19 August 2022]; Paraparaumu Cemetery burial records & headstone image (Kapiti Coast District Council [12 August 2014]; NZ Electoral Rolls ( [19 August 2022]

External Links

Related Documents

Researched and Written by

Currently Assigned to


Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Logo. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.

Tell us more

Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!

Your Details
Veteran Details
- you may attach an image or document up to 10MB