LOGAN, Reuben Charles
(Service number 6/2191)

Aliases Reu, Rue
First Rank Private Last Rank Corporal


Date 31/01/1897 Place of Birth Timaru

Enlistment Information

Date 13 February 1915 Age 20 years
Address at Enlistment Wilson Street, Timaru
Occupation Joiner
Previous Military Experience 2nd South Canterbury Regiment - serving
Marital Status Single
Next of Kin John LOGAN (father), 6 Wilson Street, Timaru
Religion Wesleyan
Medical Information Height 5 feet 6 inches. Weight 130 lbs. Chest measurement 30½-33 inches. Complexion fair. Eyes grey. Hair brown. Sight & colour vision both good. Colour vision correct. Limbs well formed. Full & perfect movement of all joints. Chest well formed. Heart & lungs normal. Teeth fair. Free from hernia, varicocele, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, inveterate or contagious skin disease. Vaccinated. Good bodily & mental health. No slight defects.

Military Service

Served with NZ Armed Forces Served in Army
Military District

Embarkation Information

Body on Embarkation New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Unit, Squadron, or Ship 4th Reinforcements, Canterbury Infantry Battalion
Date 17 April 1915
Transport Willochra or Knight Templar or Waitomo
Embarked From Wellington Destination Suez, Egypt
Other Units Served With
Last Unit Served With Canterbury Infantry Regiment (WWI)

Military Awards

Campaigns Egyptian; Balkan (Gallipoli & Mudros); Egyptian Expeditionary Force; Western European
Service Medals 1914-1915 Star; British War Medal; Victory Medal
Military Awards

Award Circumstances and Date

No information

Prisoner of War Information

Date of Capture
Where Captured and by Whom
Actions Prior to Capture
PoW Serial Number
PoW Camps
Days Interned
Liberation Date


Date 9 February 1919 Reason On termination of period of engagement

Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses

23 August 1915 - admitted to Field ambulance at Anzac - dysentery. 1 November 1915 - admitted to Field Ambulance at Mudros, then to hospital (Australian Hospital at Lemnos) - diptheria. 12 January 1916 - admitted to 19th General Hospital at Alexandria, Egypt - still diphtheria.

Post-war Occupations

Carpenter, labourer


Date 10 February 1986 Age 89 years
Place of Death Hastings
Memorial or Cemetery Hastings Cemetery
Memorial Reference RSA Block, Plot D74A
New Zealand Memorials Bank Street Methodist Church Timaru Memorial; Hastings District & RSA Roll of Honour (WWII)

Biographical Notes

Reuben Charles Logan, fondly known as Rue, was the youngest son of John and Mary Jane (née Hewish) Logan, of Timaru. He was born on 31 January 1897 at Timaru, the 11th child in a family of 12 (7 sons and 5 daughters). Two of the children died in infancy, John in 1886 and Christian in 1901. Along with his brothers and sisters he was educated at Timaru Main School, where in 1910 he gained his Certificate of Competency. He won the boys under 12 sack race in 1907 and was awarded a sports prize at the end of the year. The following year he was placed second in the Public Schools Race organised by the Boys’ High School and in 1909 he was a member of the winning team in the 440 yards relay race at the Timaru Main School.

In 1910 he started to make his mark in football. He was in the winning Main School A grade seven-a-side tournament team, and he won one of two medals for the best footballers in the school. His team met with the same success in football in 1911. Later in the year Rue was placed second in the over 12 sack race and third in the senior sports championship. 1912 saw him competing in cycling, when he finished fifth of fourteen competitors in a Swift youths’ road race. Only about 20 seconds covered the first eight to finish. In the next race of the series over about 14 miles (from Maori Hill to the Seadown School and back) he raced with a handicap of only 7 minutes. Rue came home in second place. In April he started in a race run under the auspices of the Temuka Bicycle Club. He was a starter in two road races run in October 1913 under the jurisdiction of the South Canterbury Centre of the N.Z.A. and C.U. as part of the”Swift” series, coming home in second place in the first race.

Reuben was a member of the Star Football Club, alongside his older brothers. He played in the final of the third grade competition on 4 September 1913. Reuben, Stanley and George were all members of the Star Football Club. At the club's annual meeting in April 1915 the names G. Logan, S. Logan and R. Logan were among those forwarded to the South Canterbury Rugby Union for the compilation of a New Zealand Roll of Honour. All three were already attached to the Expeditionary Forces at this date. Their oldest brother William who had joined the Timaru Port Guards on 9 April 1900 with the rank of Private, was listed in the Reserves. Another brother, James Logan, was also listed on the Reserve Roll.

Reuben was only 18 years old when he enlisted on 13 February 1915, giving his birthdate as 31 January 1895, instead of 1897, and his age as 20 years 1 month. Single and Wesleyan, he was a joiner for the Westland Timber Company, though he gave his home address. His nominated next-f-kin was his father, John Logan, Wilson Street, Timaru. 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighing 130 pounds, and with a chest measurement of 30½-33 inches, he had a fair complexion, grey eyes and brown hair. His sight, hearing and colour vision were all good, his limbs and chest well formed, and his heart and lungs normal. His teeth were only fair. He was free of all diseases and defects, vaccinated, and in good health. He was already serving with the 2nd South Canterbury Regiment. Private R. C. Logan embarked with the Canterbury Infantry Battalion of the 4th Reinforcements (to which he was transferred from the 5th Reinforcements on 29 March) on 17 April 1915 at Wellington – the same unit and on the same date as his brother Stan, who was killed early in the war. They were headed for Suez, Egypt, where Stan and Rue were detained as garrison. In the diary kept by Private H. G. Budd (4th Reinforcements; killed in action on 7 August 1915, the same day as Stan), Budd mentions in the entry for July 29, 1915, meeting up with Rue and Stan Logan. This was the day after Rue and Stan joined their Battalion at the Dardanelles.

A month later (23 August) Reuben Logan was admitted to the Field Ambulance at Anzac, suffering with dysentery. He rejoined his Battalion at the Dardanelles a week later. Captain A. F. Boys, in a letter written to his wife in Timaru from Lemnos on 13 October 1915, mentioned that he had gone to the main camp that morning and met Rue (among others). It was on 1 November 1915 that Rue was admitted first to the Field Ambulance at Mudros, then to hospital, with diphtheria. At Christmas 1915 Reuben was in the Australian Hospital at Lemnos with diphtheria. In a letter regarding the pay of her brother George, his sister Rachel expressed thanks for the kindness shown to Reuben who received gifts the same as Australian soldiers and wrote home of their goodness to him. He had disembarked at Alexandria on 30 December and was admitted to the 19th General Hospital at Alexandria on 12 January 1916, still suffering with diphtheria. After being admitted to the Convalescent Camp at Glymenopoulo on 18 January 1916, he was attached to Strength of the NZ Base Depot on 27 January. Reuben’s father received a letter from Reuben in March 1916, dated 2 February, Ismailia Camp. Rue said that he had had a fine time at Alexandria where there was a beach which reminded him of Caroline Bay. It was at Ismailia on 18 February 1916 that Rue incurred penalties – three days Field Punishment and forfeiture of two days pay – for absence from camp without leave.

He embarked at Port Said for France on 6 April 1916. After time with his Unit, Private R. C. Logan was detached to Brigade School on 20 November 1917. In January 1981 he enjoyed 2½ weeks in the UK, rejoining his Battalion on 24th. He experience three more weeks leave in the UK in September 1918. Mr J. Logan received word that his son, Corporal R. C. Logsn would return on duty to New Zealand with draft 204 in mid January 1919. Reuben had been promoted to Corporal on 21 October 1918 and detached to the UK on duty a week later. He had embarked at Liverpool on 3 December 1918, per the “Tahiti”. Rue arrived back in Timaru, New Zealand, by special train on 13th January 1919, one of the largest drafts to return to Timaru. They were greeted with three rousing cheers from the crowd at the station. The mayor welcomed them – “most of them had been away a long time. They had played their part well and had earned the distinction of being amongst the best troops of the British Army.” He was discharged on 9 February 1919, on the termination of his period of engagement. In all Reuben Logan was overseas for almost four years, serving in all theatres of war – Balkans (Gallipoli and Mudros), Egypt and Western Europe. He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Soon after returning home, Rue was back into his rugby and back with the Star Club, being one of the returned men who dominated club teams in the latter part of the season. He was selected to play for South Canterbury against Ashburton on 4 August 1919. Thereafter he played regularly for South Canterbury in representative matches. In an end-of-season match against Ashburton County on 4 September 1919, won 22 to 8 by South Canterbury, Logan secured the early advantage and also prevented an Ashburton scoring opportunity. In June 1920, when he was captain of Star, he was called up for the South Island team, but owing to an injured knee he was unavailable. Against Canterbury on 5 August 1920, the gate takings were good but the result not so, Canterbury winning 16-6. Rue was in the South Canterbury team which played Wellington for the Ranfurly Shield in September 1920, making some key moves in the match. A week or so later he was in the representative team which toured to play both Otago and Southland. Rue featured in play and scored against Otago, but the match was again lost. Rue Logan played his part in a club match between Star and Temuka, at the end of May 1922, but Temuka was the superior team. A few weeks later he was nominated for the five-eighths position in the South Island team. It appears that he did not make the winning South Island team. Before that he featured in a club match with Waihi, which resulted in a draw. R. Logan was selected for the South Canterbury team to meet North Otago in July 1922, and Taranaki in August. Representative honours for Rue continued in the 1923 season, with selection for the South Canterbury team to play against New Zealand Maoris. The Maoris ran out the winners, 13-0. Soon after, Canterbury was the opponent, followed by North Otago. Rue Logan played for South Canterbury A in the “Charity Day” matches in August 1923. Perhaps the 1923 highlight for the South Canterbury Union was a visit from the New South Wales touring team, and for Rue, selection in the local team for the match. In the last official fixture of the 1923 season, R. Logan represented South Canterbury against Manawatu, a match which resulted in a 17-14 win for South Canterbury. Early in the 1924 season, R. Logan, South Canterbury, was selected in the All Black trial game at Invercargill. He went on to represent South Canterbury against North Otago, Wellington, Waimate Sub-union. As captain of Star in 1924, Rue Logan was a member of a club deputation which, in October 1924, waited upon Mrs F. Beri, the donor of the Beri Memorial Cup, to present her with an enlarged and beautifully framed photograph of the Club, with the Memorial Cup as centrepiece. Star Club, first winners of the cup, had the photo taken as a memento of the event. Mr Logan also spoke of the good work done for football and athletics generally by the late Mr J. Beri. In 1925, South Canterbury came back from a half-time deficit, 9-11, to defeat North Otago, 32-11, and also beat Ashburton County. South Canterbury suffered a “cricket score” loss (9-45) to Canterbury in September 1925. Unfortunately South Canterbury’s R. Stewart, an All Black, R. Logan, centre three-quarter, were unable to get through to Christchurch on the morning of the match, because of the state of the roads.

At the annual meeting of the Star Football Club, held in March 1923, Mr R. Logan was elected to the Management Committee. The meeting agreed that prospects were bright for a most successful season. By 1928 Rue Logan had moved into refereeing, starting with club games and the Geraldine seven-a-side tournament. Also, his name was forwarded to the South Canterbury Rugby Union, as one who was capable and available to control representative fixtures. In July 1929 there was some controversy over referee r Logan’s action in stopping a game before full-time because of alleged rough play. It was ruled that the referee had no justification in stopping the game before time and that the game be replayed. The local Referees’ Association, however, disagreed with the decision. The committee supported Mr R. C. Logan and decided to forward particulars of the case to the national association.

Late in 1919 Rue was charged with breaching the motor by-law – riding a motor cycle on North Street at night at an excessive pace and without a light. He did not know what pace he was going, as it was a new machine, and he judged by the absence of vibration that he was within the pace limit. The constable estimated that he was riding at 30 miles an hour. He was fined on both counts.

The character of Reuben Charles Logan is little enigmatic. He went and served his country at a very young age; he expressed much gratitude for kindnesses shown to the troops during the war; he gave so much to South Canterbury rugby, as a player and as a referee; when his name was drawn in the ballot, he saw service in World War II also. Yet, he had a police history, no offences being too serious. He was charged with assault on 31 January 1922 at Westport and fined £3. Charged with theft on 8 December 1926 at Timaru, he was sentenced to one year’s probation. And charged on 21 May 1949 at Napier with being a rogue and vagabond, he was ordered to come up if called on in one year.

On 25 October 1924, at St Mary’s Church, Timaru, Reuben Charles Logan had married 19 year old Jean Elizabeth Harrison from Timaru. They lived initially at Timaru, moving to Oturehua in Central Otago for a time, before going north to Napier where Rue was employed by the Public Works Department. Rue and Jean separated in the 1940s. Rue spent some years in the employment of the Ministry of Works at Petone, Featherston and Trentham, before retiring to Hastings in the early 1970s. He was a carpenter living in Hawke’s Bay when he was drawn in a World War II ballot in 1942. He had already attested at Wellington in May 1940 for National Military Service and entered camp in July 1940. He was 43 years old, a railway employee, married, of Church of England affiliation, in good health, although he had suffered a strained back in 1938, and living at 33 Milton Street, Napier. His next-of-kin was his wife, Jean Elizabeth Logan, of 33 Milton Road, Napier. As a trainee, he was issued with boots, a great coat, a felt hat, hat bands, a jacket, trousers, and a waist belt. In July 1940 he was promoted to Lance Corporal but eight months later reverted to Private at his own request. Discharged in August 1941, on account of going to the country on a job, he again signed up on 27 November the same year and entered camp in January 1942. His was the first instance where a discharged man offered his services again. He was a carpenter for the N.Z. Railways, married, with four children under sixteen years of age. He had had some experience with horses and experience with a motor cycle. He was promoted to Temporary Corporal in April following, and in May issued with military articles, such as a rifle and a scabbard. As of 27 June `1942,his military knowledge was satisfactory, his ability to absorb instruction good, his ability to impart instruction satisfactory, his bearing, character and leadership good, but he needed “more punch in work”. In July 1942 he spent a few days in Napier Hospital, with influenza. He was a healthy looking man but had been unwell for three days with pain in his limbs and headache. The following month his general condition was excellent. In August 1942, R. C. Logan studied a syllabus of Sergeant’s Tactics, earning the comments – “Seems to have a little of the old school complex. Slow to learn but has worked hard making fair progress.” He was attached to the Wellington Regiment in November 1942. He had appointed his wife – Jean Elizabeth Logan, Napier – as executor of his Will. After the birth of twin sons on 6 February 1943, Logan was transferred to the POW Camp at Featherston, and the address of his next-of-kin was changed (still in Napier). He had been granted confinement leave from 16 February till 2 March. In April 1943 he was promoted to the rank of Temporary Sergeant, in October 1943 he did a tour of duty at Linton, and in December he spent eight days in Featherston Military Hospital, with acute or chronic bronchitis, followed by a brief period of sick leave. He was promoted to Temporary Sergeant whilst performing duties of CQMS at Featherston in March 1944. Throughout 1944, 1945 and early 1946 Logan held various positions and ranks at Featherston, and accrued furlough, before moving to Wellington in March 1946. As of January 1944 his dentures were satisfactory, and remained so. In August 1944 some Kit deficiencies were attended to, and he was authorised to wear certain bars and chevrons. He was prescribed spectacles for all near work in June 1945. He was again promoted to Temporary Sergeant June 1945 whilst employed at Station Loading NCO and Yardman. Logan did duty as Guard on “Stirling Castle” on 28 February 1946, and again on 4 March. In September 1946 he got into trouble, being found guilty of unlawfully converting a NZ Army vehicle to his own use, (but not guilty of theft). He was subject to a Court Martial, for “conduct to the prejudice of good orders& military discipline”. Consequently he was reduced to ranks (from Staff Sergeant C.Q.M.S.), although the Commanding Officer mitigated the reduction of rank to Corporal, and fined £5. Logan was, moreover, granted the acting rank of Sergeant as there was no suitable replacement.

On 1 October 1946, Logan was transferred to the Interim Army for service until March 1948. Sgt R. C. Logan applied, however, for release from the Army. He wrote from Petone on 29 October 1946 – “I wish to make application for immediate release from the Army. I have been under severe mental stress over a period of years and have domestic troubles coming to a head any day now. I realise, Sir, I cannot do justice to the responsible job I have in this Unit [Construction Coy], so as I have a job to go to, which will not be kept open, where, I feel I will be more at ease in fairness to the Unit and myself. I ask for release. I am, Sir, Your obedient servant.” He was employed as CQMS in the Construction Company and had over 5 years service. No other member of the unit had the necessary experience to take over the position. As of 4 November 1946, no replacement for NCO Sgt R. C. Logan, 615806, was available, and his release (with 24 days Retiring Leave) could not be approved until a suitable replacement was available. On 12 November he was deemed “Fit to leave Camp”. A Medical Board examination was conducted on 13 November 1946. Sergeant Reuben Charles Logan was 50 years old (actually 49), a labourer, married with three children, and his given address was P.W.D. P.W. Camp, Featherston. The records stated that he was of good physique and weighed 11 stone 4 pounds. He was free of diseases and of abnormalities of heart, lungs, bones, joints, hearing, nose and throat. Reuben himself stated that he was suffering from (1) insomnia which began at Featherston 3 years ago, the cause being domestic worry, and (2) occasional dysentery which began in 1915, the cause being infection. Before his World War II service, he had suffered dysentery and diphtheria, both in 1915, and during service severe cold. The diagnosis of his disability was (1) chronic intermittent dysentery contracted during the 1914-18 war, (2) insomnia contracted at Featherston three years ago. “Had bad attacks of dysentery lasting 2 or 3 days every few months since 1915. Insomnia for past 3 years since domestic worries commenced.” No treatment had been received or required. The first disability was directly attributable to conditions of service, but not the second, and nor was it aggravated by service conditions. The medical grading was assessed as Grade Three – Fit to live in Camp; and he was fit for civil employment. He was subsequently discharged from the New Zealand Territorial Service (29 November 1946) and was to apply for War Pension. As of 25 September 1946, Reuben Charles Logan was recorded as a carpenter and legally separated, with three children under 16 years of age. In World War II (No. 615836) he rose to the rank of staff-sergeant. He was awarded the War Medal 1939-45 and the NZ War Services Medal.

R. C. Logan’s name is inscribed on the Wesley Church Roll of Honour in the Bank Street Methodist Church. This Roll of Honour was unveiled at a very impressive service in early June 1915, after an address by the Rev. T. A. Joughin, opening with the words “Sorrow and pride mingle in the duty I have to perform” and while the “Litany for Army and Navy” was sung. His brothers Thomas Stanley Logan and George Hewish Logan were both killed in action at Gallipoli on the 7th and 8th August 1915 respectively. Reuben died on 10 December 1986 at Hastings.

Reuben Charles Logan died on 10 February 1986 at Hastings, aged 89 years, and was buried in the RSA section of Hastings Cemetery, his services plaque recording his service in both wars. His name is inscribed on the Hastings District and RSA Roll of Honour 1939-1945.


Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database [29 November 2013]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Ref. AABK 18805 W5922 0357819) [19 August 2016], NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Ref. AABK 18805 W5968 0452767) [21 August 2016]; South Canterbury Times, 13 December 1886, Timaru Herald, 12 November 1907. 20 December 1907, 20 March 1908, 22 October 1909, 21 October 1910, 21 January 2011, 21 August 1911, 3 November 1911, 3 December 1912, 19 & 21 February 1913, 3 September 1913, 15 & 17 October 1913, 19 November 1913, 16 April 1915, 7 June 1915, 14 December 1915, 21 January 1916, 16 March 1916, 2 August 1916, 9 September 1916, 07 & 08 January 1919, 14 January 1919, 12 & 23 August 1919, 3 & 5 September 1919, 12 December 1919, 24 June 1920, 20 & 31 July 1920, 5 & 6 August 1920, 10 & 20 September 1920, Temuka Leader, 8 April 1913, 30 May 1922, 15 & 27 June 1922, 18 July 1922, 22 August 1922, 3, 12 & 21 July 1923, 2 August 1923, 6 September 1923, 9 September 1924, 7 October 1924, 4, 18 & 25 August 1925, 15 September 1925, 22 May 1928, 5 July 1928, 7 August 1928, 4 September 1928, Lyttelton Times, 8 June 1915, Press, 20 June 1922, 21 March 1923, 16 July 1923, 22 August 1923, 24 May 1924, 14 July 1924, 14 September 1925, 2 & 5 July 1929 (Papers Past) [29 November 2013; 04 June 2014; 01 September 2014; 13 October 2014; 19 April 2015; 05 & 09 October 2019]; NZ BDM Indexes (Department of Internal Affairs) [2013]; School Admission Records (South Canterbury Branch NZSG) [2013]; NZ Electoral Rolls ( [18 April 2015]; Hastings Cemetery headstone image & burial record (Hastings District Council) [08 October 2019]; NZ Police Gazettes, 8 March 1922, 6 January 1926, 11 June 1941 (; Papers Past) [09 October 2019]; St Mary’s Timaru marriage record (South Canterbury Branch NZSG); Hastings District’s War Memorials and Roll of Honour [09 October 2019]

External Links

Related Documents

Researched and Written by

Teresa Scott, SC brnach NZSG

Currently Assigned to


Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Logo. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.

Tell us more

Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!

Your Details
Veteran Details
- you may attach an image or document up to 10MB