HOLDGATE, Ralph Aubrey
(Service number 32567)

First Rank Sergeant Last Rank


Date Unknown Place of Birth

Enlistment Information

Date Age
Address at Enlistment
Occupation Clerk
Previous Military Experience
Marital Status
Next of Kin J.W. Holdgate (father), care of John Jackson and Co. (Limited), Stafford Street, Timaru, New Zealand
Medical Information

Military Service

Served with NZ Armed Forces Served in
Military District

Embarkation Information

Body on Embarkation New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Unit, Squadron, or Ship 22nd Reinforcements Canterbury Infantry Regiment, C Company
Date 16 February 1917
Transport Navua
Embarked From Wellington, New Zealand Destination Devonport, England
Other Units Served With
Last Unit Served With

Military Awards

Service Medals
Military Awards

Award Circumstances and Date

No information

Prisoner of War Information

Date of Capture
Where Captured and by Whom
Actions Prior to Capture
PoW Serial Number
PoW Camps
Days Interned
Liberation Date


Date Reason

Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses

Post-war Occupations


Date Age
Place of Death
Memorial or Cemetery
Memorial Reference
New Zealand Memorials

Biographical Notes

Genealogical notes by Guy Holdate record: "The third Timaru Holdgate to serve overseas in WW1 was Ralph Aubrey Holdgate. He was born in Timaru in 1896, the first son to John and Henrietta Holdgate. John was the second son of Edward and Betty Holdgate who were among some of the first emigrants to South Canterbury. Ralph was educated at Timaru Main School. After school he worked for a period as a clerk with Dalgety and Co, gave his next of kin as father John Holdgate c/o John Jackson and Co (Limited) in Stafford Street Timaru. He joined up with the NZ forces in 26th September 1916 as a corporal promoted to sergeant by 16th October. Following in his cousin and uncle footsteps he embarked with the Canterbury Infantry Battalion 22nd reinforcements C company to Devonport (England) on HMNZT Navua, departing NZ on 16 February 1917. He was transferred to Rouen (France) on 26th April 1917 and joined with the 1st Battalion Canterbury Regiment A Company. He joined the regimental unit field ambulance on 20th July 1917 and later the school of instructors by August 1917. He contracted trench foot and required treatment in the Clapton Military Hospital London from August to November. He was then transferred to the Couv? Depot at Hornchurch? in early December 1917. In March 1918 he took a months leave in the UK. He was eventually discharged as being no longer physically fit for active service due to continuing foot problems, and was embarked for NZ from Liverpool on the SS Remuera on 7th September 1918. On his return to Timaru after WW1 he continued to be involved in local events, managing to play tennis, cricket, hockey and later golf up to his late 70’s. He was a keen stamp collector becoming life member and patron of the Timaru Philatelic Society, president of the NZ Philatelic Society in 1957/58, and was a Timaru City Councillor. He married Merle Halliday and they had 2 sons Lyall and Bevan. Later in World War 2 he obtained the rank of Captain with the NZ military forces but did not serve overseas. His son Lyall had a lifetime career with the NZ Airforce, serving in Canada in World War 2 as a flying instructor. Ralph died on 9th July 1984 at the grand old age of 88 years."


Cenotaph (14 May 2014); Genealogical notes by Guy Holdgate, 2014 (South Canterbury Museum L2014/008)

External Links

Related Documents

Researched and Written by

Tony Rippin (South Canterbury Museum)

Currently Assigned to

Not assigned.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Logo. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.

Tell us more

Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!

Your Details
Veteran Details
- you may attach an image or document up to 10MB