ROBINSON, Frank McLaren
(Service number 12829)
|First Rank||Gunner||Last Rank|
|Date||1 January 1889||Place of Birth||Dunedin|
|Address at Enlistment|
|Previous Military Experience|
|Next of Kin||G. ROBINSON (father), Gleniti, Canterbury|
|Served with||NZ Armed Forces||Served in||Army|
|Body on Embarkation||New Zealand Expeditionary Force|
|Unit, Squadron, or Ship||13th Reinforcements New Zealand Field Artillery|
|Date||27 May 1916|
|Transport||Willochra or Tofua|
|Embarked From||Wellington||Destination||Plymouth or Devonport, England|
|Other Units Served With|
|Last Unit Served With|
Award Circumstances and Date
Prisoner of War Information
|Date of Capture|
|Where Captured and by Whom|
|Actions Prior to Capture|
|PoW Serial Number|
Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses
|Date||25 July 1969||Age||80 years|
|Place of Death||Blenhiem|
|Memorial or Cemetery||Cremated at Whakapuaka, Nelson (28 July 1969)|
|New Zealand Memorials||Gleniti School War Memorial (served in WWI)|
Eldest son of Gladstone & Eva Louisa (nee BATHGATE) ROBINSON, of "Oakwood", Gleniti.
On 30 January 1919 at St Mary's Anglican Church, Timaru, he married Edith Eleanor GILES. At that time he was a runholder, resident at Gleniti. Frank is remembered (as "Also Served") on the Gleniti War Memorial, erected between the two main doors of the Gleniti Schoo, and unveiled on 27 December 1919. The unveiling ceremony commenced with the singing of the National Anthem and closed with all singing "God Save the King". The Ven. Archdeacon Jacob, who had come out from Timaru with Rev. Father Bartley, spoke of the great object lesson of duty which had been taught to future generations by those who had made such great sacrifices in the war. The schoolchildren, whenever they looked at the tablet, would remember and be proud of those who had fought to keep their country free from the horrors of invasion.
Cenotaph Database [2 February 2014]; Otago Daily Times, 16 January 1889, Mataura Ensign, 18 January 1889, Timaru Herald, 1 February 1919, 27 December 1919 (Papers Past) [18 November 2013; 4 February 2014]. Marriage certificate - St Mary's Anglican Church, Timaru (South Canterbury Branch NZSG photocopy collection) [March 2014]; SCRoll web submission by R Toth, 18 September 2015
No documents available.
Researched and Written by
Currently Assigned to
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.
Tell us more
Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!