GOW, John Graham
(Service number 3/3394)
|First Rank||Captain||Last Rank||Captain|
|Date||29 October 1884||Place of Birth||Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Date||3 May 1917||Age||32 years|
|Address at Enlistment||c/o E. COLLIE, Worser Bay, Wellington [father-in-law]|
|Previous Military Experience||Edinburgh University C.T.C. - 3 years - left university; Timaru H.S. Cadets - Lieutenant 6 years|
|Marital Status||Married. Two, three children.|
|Next of Kin||Dr Alice M. GOW (wife), Marine Parade, Worser Bay, Wellington|
|Medical Information||Height 6 feet 1 inch. Weight 156 lbs. Chest measurement 35-38 inches. Complexion ruddy. Eyes hazel. Hair brown-grey. Sight - both eyes 6/6. Hearing & colour vision both normal. Limbs well formed. Full & perfect movement of all joints. Chest well formed. Heart & lungs normal. Illness - chole-cystitis. Free from hernia, varicocele, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, inveterate or contagious skin disease. Vaccinated (left arm). Good bodily & mental health. No fits. Fit A.|
|Served with||NZ Armed Forces||Served in||Army|
|Body on Embarkation||New Zealand Expeditionary Force|
|Unit, Squadron, or Ship||28th Reinforcements, New Zealand Medical Corps|
|Date||7 June 1917|
|Other Units Served With|
|Last Unit Served With||NZ M C|
|Service Medals||British War Medal; Victory Medal|
|Military Awards||Military Cross (M.C.)|
Award Circumstances and Date
Military Cross (M.C.) - for distinguished services in connection with Military Operations in Egypt and Palestine; awarded January 1920.
Prisoner of War Information
|Date of Capture|
|Where Captured and by Whom|
|Actions Prior to Capture|
|PoW Serial Number|
|Date||28 March 1920||Reason|
Hospitals, Wounds, Diseases and Illnesses
On 9 February 1919 he was admitted to hospital - sick.
|Date||2 October 1960||Age||76 years|
|Place of Death||Tapui, Oamaru|
|Memorial or Cemetery||Cremated Andersons Bay Crematorium, Dunedin|
|New Zealand Memorials|
John Graham Gow was the son of James Gibson and Hannah Brocket (nee Cowell, formerly Arkle) Gow. The family arrived in NZ in December 1884 and lived in Timaru, where James Gibson Gow was the chief Inspector of schools in South Canterbury. John Graham Gow was first educated at a private school, then at Timaru Main and Waimataitai schools before going to High School. In 1914 John was a medical student in Dunedin, studying clinical surgery. John's wife, Maysie Alice Marianne Collie, was already qualified in medicine herself when they married on 4 March 1913 at st Mark's Church, Wellington. Two children were born before his enlistment - Edith Marianne Gow, born on 26 January 1915 in Dunedin and James Gibson Gow, born on 20 September 1916 at Westport, Subsequently Anne Graham Gow was born on 16 December 1917 in wellington, and Edward John Gow followed on 2 February 1920. In 1926 John and Maysie agreed to go their separate ways. There was a petition for divorce but it was withdrawn. John Graham returned to New Zealand in April 1919 per 'Kaikoura' and was in a group of six who arrived at Timaru from Christchurch by the express (three of these returning soldiers accompanied by their English brides). In Timaru they were welcomed cordially by the Mayor and commended for their gallant work abroad. On his return to New Zealand John was attached to the Military Hospital at Trentham; he may also have gone to the Waipiata Sanatorium. John remarried in 1955, to Mary Anne Jane Catherwood in Tapui, where they had both been living since the late 1930s. John died at his residence at Tapui (near Oamaru) only five years later in 1960 and was cremated in Dunedin. His wife died in 1959 at Levin and is buried with her parents. Flying Officer James Gibson Gow, a son of John and Maysie, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for meritorious service in the European theatre of war in World War Two.
Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database [12 December 2013]; NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Ref. AABK 18805 W5539 0046365) [12 December 2013], NZ Defence Force Personnel Records (Archives NZ Ref. AABK 18805 W5937 0359450) [30 June 2017]; Evening Post, 6 September 1904, 2 August 1944, Timaru Herald, 2 November 2014; 28 April 1919, 16 February 1920, NZ Truth, 5 December 1929 (Papers Past) [05 November 2013; 13 November 2013; 13 December 2013]; SCRoll web submission by S Murphy, 27 January 2019
No documents available.
Researched and Written by
Currently Assigned to
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.
Tell us more
Do you have information that could be added to this story? Or related images that you are happy to share? Submit them here!